Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Tribute to Fathers

By Crystal Laramore

Father. Just the name alone stirs the heart. For the daughters out there Father is the first male relationship we had. He was our first kiss, our first love. He taught us what good love was all about. He taught us how other men should treat us. He gave us our foundation for all future loves to come.

He was the first man to treat us with respect, love and admiration.

I am 44 and I still sit on that man's lap and I still call him "Daddy". The father-daughter relationship is a special, sacred relationship. Treasure it. Nurture it. Never take it for granted.

For most of us, male and female, Father was our first buddy. He was the first man we laughed with; the first man to make us furious and the first man to heal a wound. He’s the first man we forgave.

Father taught us all respect. I don’t know about you, but I NEVER was unkind to my mother if my father was around! If I were ever going to smart-off you can be rest-assured it was when daddy was somewhere else! I always said yes-sir and no-ma’am. I minded my manners and was respectful to my elders; and still am. I did not(for the most part)interrupt adults and I did not plunk my rear-end down at the dining room table with the adults either. Children were to be seen and not heard during certain times and we knew when those times were.

Our fathers teach us kindness. I’ve seen my father be upset but I don’t think I’ve ever seen him be unkind. If he found himself in a situation where kindness wasn’t possible he became quite and disconnected maybe but, not unkind.

Fathers teach us about generosity and charity. Mine taught me that it started at home and that was good advice. If you don’t take care of yourself first, you will have nothing to give to others.

My Father taught me that generosity and humility = strength. Father taught us to have a good work ethic. He taught us to be good employees and employers. He taught us the meaning of pride and loyalty. Father taught us about politics too. We are probably of the same political persuasion as our fathers.

Father is probably the one that took each of us to our first live sporting event. He’s the one who baited our first hook and netted our first fish; heck, he probably actually caught it too but being the good storyteller he is, that is NOT how we replay it in our minds today; and so the fishing stories began...

So this Sunday as we celebrate Father’s, Step-Fathers and Daddy's around the country let us also celebrate the life-long lessons, the love and the sacrifices they made on our behalf, the ones we know about and the ones we know not.

Not too long ago I wrote my Father a love letter. It made him “weepy”. I highly suggest it!

Happy Father’s Day Daddy! I love you!

No comments: